The Conference will be held at the Monumental Complex of Santa Maria La Nova, in the heart of downtown Naples. The complex includes a 13th century Baroque church, with two cloisters and various ancillary rooms. All environments will be accessible to Congress participants, to experience a perfect mix of art and science. Numerous hotels and restaurants are present in the area, to allow easy logistics for congress participants.
Historical notes about Santa Maria la Nova
The Church is called “new” to distinguish it from the old church Santa Maria ad Palatium and was probably founded by St. Francis. It was built later during the Swabian period on the site of the castle ‘Maschio Angioino” and of a convent built in 1216. Charles I of Angiò wanted to build the new castle, so he demolished the convent and, on 10th May 1279, he gave friars the site where the present-day church is situated and where the ancient tower was built to guard the port. The convent and the church were built on the ancient structure in Gothic style. Three centuries after its construction, the church was almost completely destroyed because of some catastrophic events like earthquakes but, above all, the explosion of Castle St. Elmo armory, due to lightning on 13th December 1587. The church was re-built in 1596 and numerous artists from the Baroque period gave their contributions to its adornment; the altar designed by Cosimo Fanzago and the frescoes by Massimo Stanzione and Luca Giordano are renowned. In the historical convent there are also two cloisters; in the small one there are some gravestones from the church and paintings representing the life of St. Giacomo della Marca and several sepulchral monuments, including the one hypothetically attributed to Vlad III, alias Count Dracula.
From this small cloister you can go into the Sacristy and into the Ancient Refectory, where there is a beautiful fresco (a Calvary scene) realized by Bramantino.
- From the sea front (Via Partenope), 20 minutes on foot
- From the shopping centre (Via Toledo), 10 minutes on foot
- From the historical centre (Piazza del Gesù), 10 minutes on foot
- 1 km from Molo Beverello, the terminal of ferry boats and hydrofoils to the islands.
- 2 km from the railway station
- 5,8 km to the airport
You can have fixed taxi fare of € 26,50 from the airport to the sea front hotels.
The distance from the airport to the city centre is approximately 20 minutes by car.
The taxi rank is located in front of the airport arrivals.
Alibus is the fastest connecting bus line between Naples Airport and the City Centre.
The service providex direct, rapid and efficient connections between the airport, Central Station and port.
Alibus stops from the airport:
– 1st stop Piazza Garibaldi Central Station (15 minutes) which is also the main metro station connection for lines 1 and 2
– 2nd stop Varco Immacolatella/Porta di Massa (30 minutes)
– 3rd stop Molo Angioino / Beverello (35 minutes)
Buy the Alibus ticket : € 5,00 per person.
Online : www.anm.it
You can buy alibus tickets directly on the Alibus or from authorized retailers (tobacco shops, newsstands, bars in the proximity of Capodichino airport, the central station and port).